Friday, August 7, 2009

"Tipness Fitness"

I went searching for a swimming pool yesterday and I found myself once again on the Oedo subway line. I got off at the Kokuritsu-kyogijo station and started looking around the National Stadium mumbling "Where is the pu-ru"(pool in Japanese) to about 5 different non-English speaking folks. After getting a variety of different directions I eventually found it by getting a whiff of chlorine and following the smell!

I needed exercise. I needed to feel the water enveloping me and I needed to swim the jet-lag and the sweat and the stress of an overwhelming city away. Upon arriving I was so excited! The pool was huge- beautiful and then I almost cried when I realized it was closed for the week because of a water polo competition. Rrrrrrrgh! Back on the subway, after a moment of fighting back tears, I decided I was going to find a pool to swim in even if it took me all day and five different subway lines!

I headed back to Roppongi frustrated but determined. I had heard I could pay to use a pool at one of the posh local hotels. On my way to the Ritz Carlton I was walking down a side street I had not been on before, when I walked past a picture of a swimming pool. Yaaaahooooo! I could not read the script to save my life but knew it must be close! After wandering around the building complex for about 15 min I finally found "Tipness" an athletic club in the basement of the building. The pool was small but clean AND they offer yoga classes as well. I had found a little oasis for my tired spirit.

Unfortunately at this particular club tattoos are not allowed (I have four). Apparently the Japanese find them offensive. So in order to use the pool I had to cover my tats with athletic tape. You can tell who the expats were even with goggles and swim caps on - we were all plastered with white patches of tape covering the offensive ink... I decided I will gladly use their roll of tape every time I swim so I signed up for a 1-month trial membership. It was a small price to pay for an hour of swimming laps.

That was yesterday and I am looking forward to a Yoga class this morning. It doesn't matter to me if the instructor only speaks Japanese. Down dog is down dog is down dog right? Ahhhh... I can't wait for the yoga class "after-glow". Maybe it will help me clear my head enough to absorb my first Japanese language class this afternoon...

No comments:

Post a Comment