Monday, August 10, 2009

Earthquakes and Typhoons

Last night after a much needed and amazing yoga session I joined the rest of the class for an after-yoga cuppa tea. We headed over to a local spot the instructor recommended and when I stepped off the elevator to the 8th floor rooftop restaurant I thought I had mis-stepped - but no - it was an earthquake! Yikes! It lasted for about 30-45 seconds which was long enough for me to think about what it would be like if the building just collapsed or if everything around me started to crumble. Then it stopped as soon as it started. I heard it was a 7.1 and centered off the southern coast of Japan hundreds of miles away. An interesting way of ending the evening after feeling so 'grounded' after yoga! Japan is like San Francisco - over due for a big quake...

This morning I headed off to Ginza trying to find a store called Bic Camera which is essentially a Best Buy X 100. The only thing electrical or battery operated they do not carry is vibrators (not that I was looking)! No luck finding the store - but I did get to tromp around in a torrential downpour which I guess was the remnants of typhoon Morokot. There were so many umbrellas and people you could hardly make your way through the puddles of water. Soaking wet I decided to hop back on the subway to Roppongi and make it a movie afternoon. The rain had stopped by the time I returned and it is now even hotter and more humid than I can even describe. I find it fascinating how I can drink 12 ounces of water and sweat it out all at the same time! This city is like a giant sized steam bath. Is there such a thing as 110% humidity?

2 comments:

  1. yep I remember shanghai and beijing when they would reach all time humidity and I couldn't believe one day I drank a gallon of water and lost 4 pounds...it was crazy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kresta! I wish I had time to read this all the time-- sooo interesting to read. I'll definitely be checking in for a little culture shock now and then! ;) Glad to hear you've found water and yoga in that huge maze of craziness. :)

    ReplyDelete